Manage Advocacy & Public Policy activities with specific responsibility for local issues; presentation of the Chamber’s policies and viewpoints to local, state and federal government bodies and agencies on a continuous basis; and to keep Chamber members informed of relevant governmental issues and activities. Manage day to day activities of the department in the absence of the VP.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for engaging on the activities of regional local governments, including but not limited to, Toledo City Council, Lucas County Commissioners and Toledo Public Schools. Provide analysis and recommendations on issues as they relate to the public policy agenda and interests of the business community.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials in the City of Toledo, Lucas County, and suburban Toledo communities where Chamber members are located.
- Monitor activities of other local governments in Ohio’s metro regions and determine potential impact on the Toledo region; assist in preparing the appropriate strategies for local advocacy.
- Responsible for monitoring the activities of local government agencies that propose and receive funding generated by tax levies. Updating the regional tax charts as necessary.
- Support efforts of the Leadership Fund as needed by, including but not limited to, preparing candidate profiles and tracking identified key votes.
- Support implementation of the Institute for Leadership & Advocacy program.
- Provide staff support to the Government Affairs Committee and its subcommittees of the legislative program as needed.
- Responsible for the implementation of initiatives and special projects as directed by the VP.
Job Skills and Requirements:
- Must have a strong interest in public policy matters.
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Political Science or related field.
- Must be self-directed individual with excellent planning, organization and follow-up skills, as well as computer capabilities.
- Must be adaptable to changing work requirements and have desire to work as part of a team.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work with sensitive, highly confidential information.
- Occasional travel to Columbus.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter (combined as one document) to email@example.com.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performance by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the person.